Monday, January 2, 2023

Where to start, determine needs


 This project is a focus for me for 2023. I am going to EDIT my closet. I must say I have purchased several must needed items this last Fall. Health issues really limited my ability to sew, and since I don't knit, I have needed to replace most of my basic sweaters. I lean to basic, wardrobe builder items. But this project has been revived to prepare the closet for transition seasons as well as warm weather wear.  

This is where I start:

  1. Make a realistic evaluation of your body style, your lifestyle, your budget.
  2. How will you use the garment. Is it a one time, special occasion piece, or a day-to-day staple in your life?
  3.  Planning my Workbook. I plan to make a sketch of the initial garment, any adjustments required, and amendments to the final item. In the sketch I will include needed accessories such as buttons, hook, zippers etc.  Designing my croquis  is a plan, the sketching tools are on the way, thank you Amazon. 
  4. Fitting is certainly an issue in the middle-age-plus figure. Using all my references and resources, I plan to move beyond the "block pattern" fitting that I have leaned to recently. I also need to deal with a spinal curvature that drops my right shoulder almost 2 inches.  The FBA (full-bust measurement) is needed on certain styles as well.
  5. Age, gravity, weight changes etc. will all play a part. Quite frankly I have so many clothes, I am still sorting and donating. When I left my administrative position in a hospital I had just purchased lots of suits and business-type clothes. Most have already moved on to new owners, yes $$$$$ out the window! But, now I find that just about everything hangs wrong, my coat collection fits like I am wearing my Mother's wardrobe! I will attempt alterations for now. 
  6. Using basic construction techniques will be a standby. On some items I will attempt to use more advanced and/or couture techniques. But, my lifestyle moves more in the casual, posh casual arena. My style is classic, not hip, not trendy, not fussy.   
  7. Using the dress form for fitting and draping has been a hit and miss for me. I will work on that. 
  8. I hope and pray that my health holds out. Nothing is a given, nothing is promised, and from here....I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment